HIGHLIGHTS OF THE RAILWAY BUDGET 2012-13
Focus and Long Term Goals
1. Safety; 2. Consolidation; 3. Decongestion & Capacity Augmentation; 4.
Modernisation; 5. Improve Operating Ratio from 95% to 74% in terminal
year of 12 the Five Year Plan.
Click here for more ( Official railway website)
Passenger fares increased marginally. The increase will be by 2 paise per km for
suburban and ordinary second class; 3 paise per km for mail/express second class; 5
paise per km for sleeper class; 10 paise per km for AC Chair Car, AC 3 tier and First
Class; 15 paise per km for AC 2 tier and 30 paise per km for AC I.
· Minimum fare and platform tickets to cost Rs. 5.
· 50% concession in fare in AC-2, AC-3, Chair Car & Sleeper classes to patients
suffering from ‘Aplastic Anaemia’ and ‘Sickle Cell Anaemia’.
· Extending the facility of travel by Rajdhani and Shatabdi trains to Arjuna Awardees.
· Travel distance under ‘Izzat Scheme’ to increase from 100 kms to 150 kms.
· SMS on passenger mobile phone in case of e-ticket to be accepted as proof of valid
· Introduction of satellite based real time train information system (SIMRAN) to
provide train running information to passengers through SMS, internet, etc.
· On board passenger displays indicating next halt station and expected arrival time to
· Installation of 321 escalators at important stations of which 50 will be commissioned
· Introduction of regional cuisine at affordable rates; launching of Book-a-meal scheme
to provide multiple choice of meals through SMS or email.
· Introduction of coin/currency operated ticket vending machines.
· Upgradation of 929 stations as Adarsh Stations including 84 stations proposed in
2012-13; 490 stations have been completed so far.
· Specially designed coaches for differently-abled persons to be provided in each
· Introduction of Rail Bandhu on-board magazines on Rajdhanis, Shatabdis and
· Setting up of AC Executive lounges at important stations
· 75 new Express trains to be introduced.
· 21 new passenger services, 9 DEMU services and 8 MEMU services to be introduced.
· Run of 39 trains to be extended.
· Frequency of 23 trains to be increased.
· 75 additional services to run in Mumbai suburban; 44 new suburban services to be
introduced in Kolkata area, 50 new services to be introduced in Kolkata Metro; 18
additional services in Chennai area.
· 725 km new lines, 700 km doubling, 800 km gauge conversion and 1,100 km
electrification targeted in 2012-13.
· Rs 6,872 cr provided for new lines, Rs 3,393 cr for doubling, Rs 1,950 cr for gauge
conversation, Rs 828 cr for electrification
· Highest ever plan outlay of Rs. 60,100 cr
· Rae Bareli coach factory manufactured 10 coaches in 2011-12; phase-II of the factory
would be commissioned in 2012-13.
· A wagon factory to be set up at Sitapali (Ganjam District of Odisha)
· A rail coach factory with the support of Government of Kerala to be set up at
Palakkad; two additional new manufacturing units for coaches to be established in the
Kutch area in Gujarat and at Kolar in Karnataka with active participation of the State
· Setting up of a factory at Shyamnagar in West Bengal to manufacture next generation
technology propulsion system for use in high power electric locomotives.
· Creating Missions as recommended by Pitroda Committee to implement the
· Setting up of Railway Tariff Regulatory Authority to be considered.
· New Board Members for Safety/Research and PPP/Marketing to be inducted.
· Rail-Road Grade Separation Corporation to be set up to eliminate level crossings.
· Indian Railway Station Development Corporation to be set up to redevelop stations
through PPP mode.
· Logistics Corporation to be set up for development & management of existing railway
goods sheds and multi-modal logistics parks.
· National High Speed Rail Authority to be set-up.
· Pre-feasibility studies on six high speed corridors already completed; study on Delhi-
Jaipur-Ajmer-Jodhpur to be taken up in 2012-13.
· Introduction of a ‘Green Train’ to run through the pristine forests of North Bengal.
· Setting up of 200 remote railway stations as ‘green energy stations’ powered entirely
by solar energy.
· Providing solar lighting system at 1,000 manned level crossing gates.
· 2,500 coaches to be equipped with bio toilets.
· Setting up of 72 MW capacity windmill plants in Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala,
Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.
· Installation of Integrated Security System at all 202 identified stations to be
completed in 2012-13.
· Escorting of trains by RPF/GRP extended to 3,500 trains.
· Integration of RPF helpline with the All India Passenger Helpline.
· Setting up of a Railway Safety Authority as a statutory regulatory body as
recommended by Kakodkar Committee
· . Three ‘Safety Villages’ to be set up at Bengaluru, Kharagpur and Lucknow for skill
development for disaster management.
· Over one lakh persons to be recruited in 2012-13 – backlog of SC/ST/OBC and other
categories to be wiped off.
· Introduction of a wellness programme for railway staff at their work places.
· Ensuring proper rest for skilled and technical staff including the running crew.
· Institution of ‘Rail Khel Ratna’ Award for 10 rail sports-persons every year.
· New coaching terminal at Naihati, the birth place of Rishi Bankim Chandra
Chattopadhyay commemorating him on 175th Birth Anniversary.
· .Project to connect Agartala with Akhaura in Bangladesh to be taken up in 2012-13.
· Freight loading of 1,025 MT targeted; 55 MT more than 2011-12
· Passenger growth targeted at 5.4 %.
Source : complied from various reports sources